Principal's Message for Week of October 14 - October 18, 2019
PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES
CSP FOCUS - ENGAGEMENT
CHEC Mission Connection for this week – "School staff and leaders build adequate bridges between school and family and between diverse groups of stakeholders who have a voice in school decisions, policies and practices."
CHEC Mission Alignment
Restorative practices are the foundation of our school climate, as we enhance relationships and build community. As lifelong learners in the pursuit of excellence and innovation, we foster a growth mindset through which teachers, administrators, students, parents, and community members all collaborate to achieve goals.
Update on Last Week’s CHEC Mission Alignment and CSP Alignment
Restorative practices are the foundation of our school climate, as we enhance relationships and build community. As lifelong learners in the pursuit of excellence and innovation, we foster a growth mindset through which teachers, administrators, students, parents, and community members all collaborate to achieve goals
Thank you to all for engaging our parents in a powerful Parent Teacher Conference Day! We had a total of 614 parents/guardians attend, which is a record for our school, and very close to our goal of 700 parents! Many teachers had more than half of their students’ parents attend! We also so very creative ways that teachers were reminding parents about portfolio presentations coming up. If we keep up this level of engagement from our parents, we will be sure to see the impact on their children’s progress and growth!
CSP Alignment Update – Shared Leadership
Our BOY mini-survey on Shared Leadership, Operations and Learning Environment was launched last week, and so far we have about a 30% response rate! Thank you to all who have participated, and we encourage everyone to complete the survey so we have rich and complete information on how to improve. There was one comment indicating that people might be uncomfortable giving information on their position or SLC – we had included this so we could provide leaders with disaggregated data. However, if you feel uncomfortable doing this, you can skip those items on the survey, and just answer the items regarding your responses on the actual questions. Thank you, and please help us reach our goal of at least 80% response! The survey will be open for one more week.
This Week’s CHEC Mission Alignment and CSP Alignment All students who graduate from our Dual Language Immersion Early College Campus will be prepared to succeed in college and civic life as leaders in the quest for social justice. We develop intellectually curious scholars who are articulate communicators in two languages, critical thinkers and consumers, cultural ambassadors, and contributing community members.
- Decrease Level 1 PARCC by 10% in ELA & Math
- Increase Level 4/5 by 10% in ELA & Math
- Increase the percent of passing scores by 5%
- Decrease the percent of 1’s by 10%.
We have already started work on this goal by delivering instruction aligned to the Common Core Standards on a daily basis in our ELA and Math classes, and supporting it by connecting other core and inner core class curriculum to the Common Core in reading, writing and math. Over the next three weeks, we will be setting goals and implementing assessments that will help us work in a cycle of improvement to reach our goal.
- This week, the week of October 15-18, each department will develop their Teacher Assessment (TAS) goals for Impact purposes. The TAS goals are specific and aligned classroom goals that support student growth towards PARCC and/or AP. There will be time allotted during Early Release Day to work on the TAS Goals by Department.
- The weeks of October 21 and October 28, we will administer Interim Assessments in all ELA, Math and AP courses, which will give us a view of how students are progressing towards proficiency in their standardized tests (the dates of interims are now on the Instructional Calendar).
- The week of October 28, all students will present their portfolios, which include work products aligned to the standards, as well as a reflection on their progress towards proficiency (POP sheets).
The information we receive from these assessments will assist us in adjusting instruction, and letting students set new goals for themselves in the ongoing cycle of improvement. It is important that we fully involve students in the assessment process, by letting them know that assessments are information to help them in their journey, not a way to punish or grade them.
CSP Alignment – Culture of Achievement
- Increase student satisfaction index by 2 percentage points to 83% by focusing on responding to students feeling of perseverance, self-efficacy, and self-management.
- Increase daily attendance rate to 90%
This is HOMECOMING WEEK! Student satisfaction and attendance are related to opportunities to celebrate and have fun! Homecoming week is an annual event that promotes school spirit. The SGA, Hospitality Academy and Athletics Department have been working hard to plan a fun and engaging Homecoming Week. The development office has reached out to alumni to participate and join us in the activities.
Here is the schedule for Homecoming Week:
Tuesday: Meme/Character Day
Wednesday: Pajama/Relaxed Day
Thursday: Throwback Day
Friday: Class Colors Day - Pep Rally for High School at 4th Period
Friday 6:00 pm – Homecoming Game versus Phelps at Cardozo
Saturday 7:00 – Homecoming Dance “Nightmare on 16th Street” 7:00 pm CHEC Cafeteria
Please join in the activities! We also still need chaperones for the dance – please see Mr.Jackson if you can assist!
- Kudos to all administrators, faculty and support staff for an amazing Parent Teacher Conference Day!
- Shout out to Mr. Galvan, Mr. Pinto, Ms. Bruggeman and Ms. Sanchez, for attending a conference on Biliteracy in Milwaukee last week!
- Shout out to Mr.Lopez and Mr. Aguilar, for having their classes participate in the planting of 26 trees for CHEC! The trees were a donation from Casey trees, and the students learned about planting and maintaining trees healthy!!!
- Kudos to Ms. N. Nimer for receiving a shout out in the DCPS Read 180 Newsletter for her classroom procedures and protocols!
- Shout out to Ms. Gonzalez for being selected as a DCPS Travel Ambassador! She will chaperone DCPS students on foreign travel this summer!!
MEETINGS THIS WEEK:
Monday, October 14, 2019
Indigenous People’s Day – No school for students, teachers, and staff.
Tuesday, October 15, 2019
Morning SLC Meeting
Hair Academy Lunch Visit 1:15 – 2:00 p.m.
College Application Workshop 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, October 16, 2019
In School PSAT and SAT Day
Early Release Day (rescheduled) All Departments work on TAS
North Carolina A&T Aggies Night Event 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. (College Park, MD)
Thursday, October 17, 2019
Department Planning Period Meeting
11th Grade Town Hall
12th Grade Town Hall
Friday, October 18, 2019
Women in Jazz at the Kennedy Center 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
PEP Rally – High School Only – 4th period
Saturday, October 18, 2019