Barbara Harman teaches AP English Literature
De-escalation Tool Kit
We will be doing further training for all staff to further improve our school culture and climate. The following are suggestions as we go forward that will help us to keep student safe and accountable and promote consistency in and out the classroom.
- Build Positive Relationships
- Follow the CHEC 5 Step Process
- Utilize Restorative Justice
- Stay in constant communication with student and parent (Give positive praises and updates)
- Restitution Speeches (Involve Culture Team)
- Tap into student’s interest (Sports, Performing Arts, etc.)
- Tap into school resources (Social Workers, Mary’s Center, etc.)
- PBIS and/or in class incentives
- Utilize a plan for success
Please make sure to use the new updated referral sheet that is attached to log behavioral infractions.
Please don’t lose sight of the following:
Please do not lose sight of each of the following below, as they are crucial to maintaining and improving the culture that we desire:
Please share these important reminders with students and parents.
- Sweaters/jackets – if they are out of uniform, they should be in lockers all day or confiscated. Lincoln and Bell sweaters can be bought from the Deans or the Main Office. Lincoln and Bell sweaters $21 and sweaters with the zipper $27.
- Please call parents when you see students out of uniform and refusing to get in uniform to ensure it is very clear that they should be in full uniform at all times. Refer any further questions to Dean Aking, Dean Boone and Dean Galvan.
- Detention is a first intervention we have for students to check and correct their behavior in your classrooms. Students being informed of this consequence is vital to the effectiveness of the consequence. Remember to use our 5 step process with fidelity so that our students will not earn a greater consequence of ISS and thus lose valuable class time.
- We always need more support at dismissal from 3:15pm until 3:35pm (High School), 4:15pm until 4:35pm (Middle School). Please follow students all the way out to the front of the building. Students should be encouraged to move on toward their bus stops/metro quickly. Teachers and staff that can make themselves available to stay out front will be greatly appreciated.
- All lunches have their ups and their downs. We always appreciate additional supports in the cafeteria on days that teachers are available. Check-ins with students build relationships and adult presence supports our daily procedures in lunch.